The above aims are embedded across our English lessons and throughout the wider curriculum. We have a rigorous and well-organised English curriculum and framework that provides progression through year groups as well as purposeful opportunities for reading, writing and discussion.
We use a wide variety of quality texts and resources to motivate and inspire our children. Teachers ensure that cross curricular links with concurrent topic work are woven into the programme of study.
The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
● read easily, fluently and with good understanding
● develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
● acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
● appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
● write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
● use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
● are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
- Pupils will read fluently to extract information and whilst reading for pleasure.
- Pupils will have the confidence and ability to write across a range of genres
- Pupils of all abilities will be able to succeed in all English lessons because work will be appropriately modelled, scaffolded and supported.
- Pupils will have a wide vocabulary that they can use effectively when speaking and writing
- Pupils will have a good knowledge of how to adapt their writing based on the context and audience
- Pupils will leave Westmoor primary school being able to effectively apply spelling rules and patterns they have been taught
- Parents and carers will have a good understanding of how they can support spelling, grammar and composition and home, and contribute regularly to homework
- The % of pupils working at ARE within each year group will be at least in line with national averages.
- The % of pupils working at Greater Depth within each year group will be at least in line with national averages
- The will be no significant gaps in the progress of different groups of pupils (e.g. disadvantaged vs non-disadvantaged)